Juicier Lucy Cheeseburger
- Yields: 4 Servings
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1½ lb. ground beef (preferably an 80/20 blend)
- 1 small block cheddar cheese (cut into 4 1½-inch wide by ½-inch thick pieces)
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
- 4 hamburger buns
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Melt the butter over medium heat then slowly add in the flour. Stir to create a thick paste and add in the milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer then add in the cheeses slowly and stir until completely melted. Add salt and pepper to taste and keep the sauce over low heat until ready to use.
Prepare grill for medium-high heat cooking, approximately 400°F.
Form ground beef into 8 thin patties. Lay one block of cheese on top of each of four patties then top each with another patty. Crimp the edges to completely seal the cheese within the ground beef. Season patties liberally on both sides with Kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Grill patties for 4–5 minutes per side until cooked through (approximately 160°F internal temperature, being sure to test the meat temperature and not the cheese center). To assemble burgers, place patties on the bottom buns, top with cheese sauce, then add the top bun and serve immediately.
- Credit: Clint Cantwell