Grilled Philly Cheesesteak
- Yields: 4 Servings
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- 1 sweet red onion (thinly sliced, optional)
- 1 tablespooon canola oil
- 15 oz. jar Kraft Cheez Whiz Original Cheese Dip
- 4 (8 oz.) boneless ribeye steaks (thinly sliced*)
- kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4 hoagie rolls or 1 large Italian loaf cut into four sections and split
- 1 vegetable grilling basket
Prepare grill for two-zone cooking, placing pre-heated Kingsford® charcoal briquets on one half of the grill’s charcoal grate to create a hot and a cool zone. Replace the main cooking grate then adjust bottom vents to bring the grill temperature to approximately 450°F. Place a vegetable grill basket on the hot side of the grill to pre-heat.
Season sliced steak with Kosher salt and ground black pepper then set aside. Place onions in a small mixing bowl and toss with canola oil.
Add onions to the grilling basket and allow them to cook until softened and caramelized, approximately 10 minutes. Remove onions from the grilling basket.
Place Cheez Whiz in a small saucepan and set on the grill. Allow the cheese sauce to warm through, stirring frequently for 3–4 minutes before moving it to the cool side of the grill to stay warm.
Add beef to the grilling basket and cook for 3–4 minutes while turning frequently until nicely browned and cooked through.
Assemble the grilled Philly cheesesteaks by dividing the beef between the 4 rolls. Top with caramelized onion and cheese sauce then serve immediately.
* Tip: To slice beef as thinly as possible, place the steaks in the freezer until firm but not completely frozen (approximately 20 minutes). Remove the steak from the freezer and immediately slice with a sharp chef knife or slicing knife.