Brat Burgers with Spicy Beer Slaw
- Yields: 10 Servings
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Prep time: 6 hours
- 4 cups green cabbage finely shredded
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup beer
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 fresh bratwurst sausages
- 10 small hamburger buns or large slider buns
In a large bowl, add the cabbage together with the onion and bell pepper.
In a small saucepan, combine the mustard, vinegar, beer, ketchup, sugar, hot sauce, garlic salt and cayenne.
Over a medium heat, bring the mixture just to a boil. Pour the sauce over the cabbage and toss until well coated. Chill covered for at least 4 hours, overnight is best.
Remove the bratwurst from its casings and form ten small patties.
Build a charcoal fire for direct grilling using Kingsford® charcoal and preheat to 400°F.
Cook the patties for 3 to 5 minutes or until an internal temperature of 160°F is reached.
Lightly toast the rolls. Top each of the buns with a burger and slaw.
- Credit: Recipe created by world champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly on behalf of Kingsford® charcoal.